Skip to content
Our Cheshire Shop is open pop in and see us, or Order Online. Find out more >
Our Cheshire Shop is open pop in and see us, or Order Online. Find out more >
Unrefined Salts

Salt, in general terms, has been the subject of much bad publicity over recent years. It is our belief that using a natural unrefined salt is healthy and beneficial. Real, unrefined salt is a very different substance to the "table salt" and most sea salts that are widely consumed. These are stripped of many of their minerals and may have additives to aid free-flowing.

Traditionally Produced Celtic Sea Salt 

Racking the salt

We keep traditionally harvested Celtic Sea Salt from Brittany. Also we have a Fleur de Sel, which is considered by some to be the highest quality of traditional Celtic Sea Salts. Real unrefined Celtic Salt should be a grey colour, which denotes its mineral content. Our Guerande Celtic Salt carries a certification from "Nature and Progress" a French organic and environmental standard, which denotes its purity, quality and sustainability.

Le Guerandais region

Sea salt has been produced in Brittany using the same ancient methods for several thousand years. Wooden tools are used. Wood is considered an inert material which will not harm the delicate balance of the salt. Metal is considered too harsh and potentially reacts with the salt. To release the salt the sea water is not evaporated by the introduction of an artificial heat source, the way most modern sea salts are made. It is believed this damages the delicate structure of the salt. Instead, in the Guerande they pass this sea water through several kilometres of special clay lined channels and pools of varying depths. The water slowly evaporates under the influence of nature: the wind and the sun. In addition to this at a certain point in the year the conditions are just right for salt to crystallise on the surface of the lagoons. This is gathered carefully by skilled craftsmen called Paludiers. The result is the precious and delicately flavoured Fleur de Sel.

The seawater then carries on its journey through the channels and pools until it has evaporated enough leaving only the natural grey salt crystals behind. These crystals are then raked up by hand with wooden tools.


The people in this region have made their living in this way, in balance and harmony with their environment continually for many centuries. The region is a haven for wildlife. The pristine environment is really bursting with life.  

Salt in wooden bowl

Many believe the most healthful of all the salts is the "coarse" Celtic Salt. 

This salt is unground, naturally formed crystals with a damp feel. The natural salt crystals clump together and appear larger due to the full spectrum mineral content - particularly magnesium - which attracts moisture. In tests this Celtic Salt has been shown to contain approximately 70% sodium chloride, leaving approximately 30% to be other minerals etc.

This type of salt contains a full spectrum of the natural minerals that occur in the sea, nothing is removed. It is said that even the act of grinding the salt can potentially cause the loss of "gases" from inside the natural crystals.

This salt may not be ideal for your salt mill, but will be great stored in a traditional salt “pig” or salt pot. We use a beautiful Miron glass jar and serve it with a carved wooden spoon.

1k Guerande saltMiron glass bowl


Himalayan Pink Salt
We also have Himalayan Pink Salt, renowned for its unique colour, which denotes its mineral content. We stock this in fine and coarse, and also big chunks that can be used for making sole or dissolving in the bath.

Other Sea Salts
We have a Sea Salt that comes from the Red Sea via Nantwich that carries a Soil Association organic certification and Malden Sea Salt from Essex.

Shop Now

Previous article Local, Raw & Wild Honey
Next article Live, Unpasteurised Fermented Foods and Drinks