Weston A. Price & Nourishing Traditional Foods
Foods and food preparation techniques handed down through the generations.
Weston A. Price, an eminent dentist from the early part of the last century is renowned still for his ground-breaking research on the diets of healthy traditional cultures all over the world. His work is collected together in the book “Nutrition and Physical Degeneration”.
Price advocated eating a nutrient dense diet of whole foods grown naturally in healthy soil and prepared by traditional methods. Price discovered the healthiest cultures around the World chose particular foods and food preparation techniques to create the most nourishing and digestible foods, which enabled them to build strong and healthy bodies, sustainably over generations.
These cultures always included what was termed “sacred” foods in their diets, such as unpasteurised dairy products and offal from pasture fed animals, seafoods - particularly fish eggs, cod liver oils, fermented foods like sauerkrauts, kimchi, kefir and natural animal fats.
When the refined carbohydrates of the modern food industry were introduced to these traditional cultures a general decline in health was noticed. Tooth decay, which was almost nonexistent previously, became a problem, as did many degenerative conditions now common in our modern societies.
The book "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon Morell, follows the principles laid down by Weston A. Price. It has a wealth of information and recipes to show how food can be prepared in your ownkitchen today, using the knowledge collected from these healthy traditional cultures that they have perfected over millennia.
Using these food preparation techniques and eating this way has consistently been shown to build health and strength into the body.
Personally, we discovered the book, "Nourishing Traditions" in 2002, and have been selling it in our shop for many years. I cannot count the times I have been told that this book has changed someone's life for the better. A truly indispensable volume that should be in everyone’s home.
Our shop has so much to offer people wishing eating this way:
- Organic Sourdough Breads
- Organic Virgin Coconut Oils
- Organic, Sustainable Palm Oil
- Raw Butters from Pasture Fed Cows
- Organic Ghee from Pasture Fed Cows
- Pastured Pork Lard and Beef Dripping
- Pastured Beef Jerky
- Raw Cheese Selection - hard and soft cheeses from cows, sheep and goats
- Raw Cream from Pasture Fed Cows
- Raw Cultured Cream (crème fraiche) from Pasture Fed Cows
- Organic, Biodynamic Raw Goat’s Milk
- Organic, Biodynamic Raw Goat’s Milk Yoghurt
- Live Kefir
- Organic, Biodynamic Live Yoghurt
- Organic Fruits and Vegetables - from a local co-operative of farmers, and from trusted suppliers in Europe
- Organic Free Range Eggs
- Organic and Pastured Meat - including beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, venison and sometimes wild boar
- Organic and Pastured Offal - from sheep, cows, chicken and ducks
- Pastured Nitrate Free Bacon - smoked and unsmoked, streaky and back
- Organic and Pastured Stock Bones - chicken, beef, veal, lamb and sometimes chicken feet and pigs trotters, too.
- Grain Free and Organic Gluten Free Sausages and Burgers
- Organic Gelatine Sheets - porcine
- Powdered Gelatine from Pastured Fed Cows
- Organic and Sustainably Produced Fish - including salmon, prawns, mackerel, trout, sardines and hoki
- Organic Live Miso
- Live Natto - made with organic soya beans
- Organic Tempeh
- Green Pastures Fermented Cod Liver Oil
- Green Pastures Concentrated Butter Oil
- Green Pastures Blue Ice Royal (FCLO and Butter Oil combined)
- Rosita Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil
- Dropi Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil
- Organic, Unpasteurised, Unfiltered Cider Vinegar
- Organic Coconut Vinegar
- Unrefined Organic Celtic Salt
- Unrefined Himalayan salt
- Organic Coconut Water
- Organic Coconut Milk
- Organic Coconut Cream
- Organic Desiccated Coconut
- Organic Maple Syrup
- Organic, Wild and Raw Honey Selection
- Live Kombucha Selection
- Naturally Fermented Fish Sauce
- Traditionally Prepared Charcuterie
- Live, Unpasteurised and Organic Fermented Vegetable Selection - sauerkrauts, kimchis, beetroot, gherkins, sauerkraut and kimchi juices
More products are being added all the time, so it is always worth dropping in to our retail shop in Alsager, Cheshire.
Alsager is really easy to get to being on the main train line between London and Crewe that passes through Stoke on Trent, and also being 5 minutes from Junction 16 on the M6.
Live culture sharing:
If we have enough, we will share our kefir grains, both water and milk, and sometimes we have kombucha scobies, too. We ask for a small donation towards their feeding and care.
Raw Cow’s Milk
There is a fantastic farmer locally who is passionate about his milk. He sells his milk and cream fresh from the farm, unpasteurised.
Andrew Hollinshead, Hoolgrave Manor Farm, Minshull Vernon, Crewe 01270 522217
Carol and Silvie are the Cheshire Chapter Leaders for the Weston A. Price Foundation, and as such are happy to help out with any questions you may have about traditional diets, sourcing quality foods and how to include these into your life.
You are always welcome in our shop, and we will be happy to talk to you.