Organic Unrefined Le Guerande Celtic Sea Salt - Grey Coarse 5kg
Traditionally harvested Atlantic Sea Salt from Brittany. This salt has not been ground, and as such is called coarse salt.
There is an idea that when a salt ctystal forms, gases are encapsulated within it. This salt is completely as nature created it - unwashed, unground, unrefined - nothing added or removed at all.
Tested for purity - certified organic with Nature and Progress.
The Difference Between Unrefined Celtic Salts and Rock Salts (Himalayan salt etc.)
Many people think Himalayan salt is better because it comes from a time long ago. This may be true, but there is much more to this picture. In France Himalayan salt is called Fossil salt. This is because it has become rock through millions of years of geologic activity. As rock, the minerals in the salt have become fossilised. These minerals cannot be called organic minerals. The minerals in an unrefined sea salt are organic, and as such are bio-available and used well by the body. The organic minerals in sea salts are created in the most part by the decomposition of life forms in the seas. Only a small portion is from rocks broken down by the action of water. For minerals to be bio-available they need to have been passed through a life form - either plant or animal. This is the food chain, from rock to plant to animal.
Regarding the potential for micro plastic in Guerande salt:Micro plastic floats on the surface of the water, the salt is created at the bottom.The water is filtered seventeen times before the last collections ponds.These systems of filtration are very sophisticated; sometimes it is the water of the surface which is filtered, sometimes the water of the middle and sometimes the bottom water in turn, up to seventeen times.
No analysis has ever found any micro plastic in the Sel de Guerande.
There is so much debate about which source of salt is the best. Do your research and make your own choice. We also list Himalyan salt.
Details Click to see more
Real Celtic Salt should be a grey colour, which denotes its mineral content.
Our Celtic salt carries a certification from Nature and Progress, a French organic and environmental standard, which denotes its purity, quality and sustainability, and has carried this certification since 1989.
This salt has been produced in Brittany using the same ancient methods for several thousand years. Wooden tools are used. Wood is considered an inert material which will not harm the delicate balance of the salt. Metal is considered too harsh. The sea water is not evaporated by the introduction of an artificial heat source, as many modern sea salts are, as it is believed this damages its structure. Instead this sea water passes through several kilometres of clay lined channels and pools. The water slowly evaporates under the influence of the wind and the sun.
At a certain point in the year the conditions are just right for the salt to crystallise on the surface of the lagoons. This is gathered carefully and is the precious Fleur de Sel.
The water carries on its journey until it has evaporated enough and only the natural grey salt crystals are left behind. These crystals are raked up by hand. The people here have made their living this way, in harmony with their environment, continually for many centuries.
The region is a haven for wildlife, and the pristine environment is bursting with life. Arguably, the most healthful of all the salts is the "coarse" Celtic salt. This salt is un-ground and damp. Salt naturally forms crystals as the sea water evaporates. It is damp because the natural minerals, particularly magnesium attract moisture and the salt crystals clump together and appear larger.
In tests this Celtic salt has been shown to contain approximately 70% sodium chloride, leaving approximately 30% to be other minerals etc. This type of salt contains all the natural minerals that occur in the sea. Nothing is removed. It is said by some that even the act of grinding the salt can cause the loss of certain gases from inside the crystals.
This salt may not be ideal for your salt mill, but will be great stored in a traditional salt pig or salt pot. We use a beautiful Miron glass container (sold separately) and serve it with a carved wooden spoon.